Our MGB GT represents original sports car that superseded MGA in 1962. Built by BMC, which later became British Leyland, the standard MGB was assembled at Abingdon in Oxfordshire as a four-cylinder, soft top roadster from 1962 to 1980. Variants included MGB GT, the subject of our new 1:76 scale model, which was a three-door, 2 + 2 coupe with fixed roof which came off the production line between 1965 and 1980. Designed by Pininfarina, the car sported a new hatchback style with sloping rear window and much more luggage space. Despite car's slightly increased weight over the standard MGB resulting in slower acceleration, the 1798 cc engine gave the MGB GT a top speed of 105 mph.